Friday, February 28, 2014

Screw the looking glass

Naked in reflectionSing, o muse, of the tale of Narcissus, handsome son of Cephissus and the Liriope, who spurned the love of others and found satisfaction only in the sight of his own reflected image!

Or so goes the myth. Today, the name of this self-centered man is applied to an egotistical obsession with one's own beauty and an unhealthy pride and selfishness generally.

At the same time, however, experts tell us that is good to love ourselves, that self-esteem and a strong self-image are signs of a healthy psyche.

Where do you stand? When you look in the mirror, do you like what you see? Are you willing to remove all your clothes for that reflection and study your own nakedness in admiration?

For a long time, I struggled to find myself attractive. Indeed, my forays into naked self-portraiture with my first digital camera were an attempt to pose myself in a way that would overcome some serious self-loathing and let me see myself in a positive light — literally. Years after beginning this hobby, I achieved what I consider a very positive milestone when I moved into an apartment with large floor-to-ceiling mirrors. There I discovered that I had improved my body and my attitude so much that I enjoyed jacking off to the sight of my own bare flesh and hard cock.

Of course, a healthy life is a balanced one. Narcissus took that same of self-admiration so far that he ignored others and eventually drowned chasing his own reflection.

As for me, I seldom masturbate before a mirror anymore, but I reserve the right to explore that possibility anytime the mood strikes. In fact, I did just that a few years back in the studio of photographer Andrew Adam Caldwell. We were preparing for photo shoot, but before I stepped under the studio lamps, I stopped to admire my form in a large mirror sitting in the back of the room. Andrew recorded that moment for you in a photo set called Narcissus, now featured in the Nakedism photo department.

I leave it up to you whether is is a healthy exercise or not. If you think it is, try finding a mirror of your own and embrace the Narcissus within.

1 comment:

  1. As reported by Stanford Medical, It is really the SINGLE reason women in this country get to live 10 years longer and weigh 42 lbs less than us.

    (And actually, it is not about genetics or some secret diet and EVERYTHING about "how" they eat.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", and not "what"...

    Tap on this link to determine if this short quiz can help you find out your real weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete