Thursday, February 17, 2011

What is Nakedism?

Walking naked down a public sidewalkAt some point in my growing up, I became aware that I had a special interest in what I thought was nudism: I felt comfortable with little or no clothing; I enjoyed the communal nudity of the sauna and similar situations; and I was completely baffled by people's interest in fashion and clothing in general.

But as I got older and started exploring institutional nudism as it existed in America, I found a culture that was as phobic in many ways as the conservatives I grew up with. Most nudist organizations I found discouraged or banned single people, especially single men, from their activities. In attempting to make nudism more acceptable to the public, they had evolved a very sex negative version of being naked.

But being able to appreciate and enjoy a clothes-free body and community should embrace all aspects of our nature, the sexual as well as the nonsexual. And so I came up with the term nakedism by which I mean the enjoyment of the unclothed body for a wide range of activities — from the simply nonsexual through the erotic and all the way to fetish and kink.

In that spirit, I offer my new site, Nakedism. There you'll find a celebration of all kinds of nudity and naked adventures. And because I'm a gay man, the emphasis will be on the naked male. I hope you find something you can enjoy as well.

2 comments: