Monday, May 2, 2011

Peen, trains, and automobile

Naked public strollFor years I had no qualms about strolling through San Francisco's gay street fairs completely naked but for a pair of boots. After all, the streets were cordoned off to make a private, adults-only space, and other people were doing the same thing. The next step in my nakedist evolution was to walk through SF's Castro neighborhood naked with no particular event to justify my exposure.

But for a long time, I was loathe to expose myself much around my home town of Seattle. What if someone sees me!? I thought.

Recently I broke even that barrier. The first major exposure was at a World Naked Bike Ride event, safely surrounded by other nudists. But a few months ago, I went with photographer friend JayBee to pose naked outside at various public locations without the moral support of anyone else.

True, we chose a holiday when businesses were closed. But it was still mid morning, and there were plenty of cars and pedestrians (which we did our best to avoid). I walked down city streets, stopped by a gas station, waited at bus stops, and wandered around train tracks as naked as the day I was born. It was nervous-making, sure. But also very liberating. Which is what, I think, a nudist life should be.

So head over to the Photo Sets collections, and check out Clothes-free Commute, our meditation of imagination on what it might be like to get to work or other destinations without the encumbrance of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment